Albertas Buta Partner, Lawyer
2008 – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree obtained from Mykolas Romeris University
2010 – Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree obtained from Mykolas Romeris University
Albertas Buta has been working as a lawyer at the Law Office of Attorney Mindaugas Šimkūnas since 2007
Associate at the Law Office of Attorney Mindaugas Šimkūnas since 2008
2012 started to practice law as attorney at law
Partner at the Law Office of Attorney Mindaugas Šimkūnas and Partners VERUM since 2014
Areas of Legal Practice
Transport Law, Corporate Law, Civil Process, Labour law.
Lithuanian, English, German and Russian
- Successfully represented the interests of a Lithuanian freight forwarding company belonging to one of the largest logistic companies groups in Europe in the judicial dispute with a Polish carrier for indemnification of the losses incurred by the customer as a result of loss of a part of the cargo by the carrier.
- Effectually represented a carrier’s interests in a judicial dispute with a freight forwarding company according to the action brought by the latter for declaration of the carriage contract null and void. As the action for declaration of the carriage contract null and void has been rejected, the debt amounting to LTL 17,000 was awarded and recovered for the benefit of the customer.
- Advised a group of freight forwarding companies bases in Lithuania on liability of the freight forwarder for the loss of goods amounting to USD 100,000, carried out a legal audit of freight forwarding contracts (by railway or road transport).
- Successfully represented a Lithuanian company in the dispute subject to arbitration with an Italian company, acted as a mediator in declaring the award delivered by the arbitration tribunal as enforceable in Italy and recovering the amount awarded by the arbitration tribunal.
- Provided advice to a German company on import of preparations necessary for production of pharmaceutical products from third countries to the Republic of Lithuania and related taxes, production, distribution, export of medicinal products and licensing of such activities, registration as a person subject to a customs duty.
- Provided advice to one of the leading transport companies in Lithuania on the position in the judicial dispute in the United Kingdom (possibility for application of limited liability of the carrier in the case adjudicated according to the CMR Convention, contesting of the shipper’s requirements for the excise duties and value added taxes paid for the lost freight) where the freight of goods subject to excise duty was lost as a result of the committed theft (the value of the claims brought against the carrier amounted approximately to LTL 2.5 million).
- Advised a company providing complex railway transport solutions on provision of services of the organisation of maintenance of freight wagons, drafted a contract for provision of services of the organisation of maintenance of freight wagons.
- Provided advice to a production-engineering company on attraction on a foreign investor, real property managed by the company’s shareholders and sale of a part of business, increase in the authorised capital.
- Gave advice to a company of peat extraction and production of substrata belonging to a international concern on liability of carriers and freight forwarders, regulation of risks existing in cargo transportation process, drafted long-term carriage and freight forwarding contracts.
- Provided advice to a Lithuanian power engineering company successfully developing in foreign markets on export of its products to third countries, drafted contracts for production and distribution of products, advised on protection of intellectual property, employment legal relationship, protection of confidential information, restriction of competition among employees.
- Advised a Lithuanian company engaged in wholesale trade in mushrooms and berries on acquisition and takeover of a business of retail trade in frozen and dried food products, drafted contracts in relation to this activity.
- We successfully represented out customer in a judicial dispute over award of damage in the case against an insurer of civil liability the owner of a construction works.
- Successfully represented the interests of a freight forwarder and consignee, namely the Russian company, in the case against an insurance company of Lithuania for paying out of an insurance benefit for the lost cargo amounting to USD 83,406.00.
Multimodal Cargo Transportation – One Carrier, Different Liabilities
The Carrier’s Civil Liability Insurance (CMR) in Lithuania: a Different Understanding of Gross Negligence in the Relationship of Cargo Transportation and Insurance